CABA invites you to attend its annual Installation Gala, which will take place on October 19, 2020 from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM on Zoom. Register here.
The Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago (“CABA”) was established in 1986 as the first local bar association for attorneys of Asian American descent.
CABA invites you to attend its annual Installation Gala, which will take place on October 19, 2020 from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM on Zoom. Last year, approximately 150 people attended CABA’s annual Installation Gala. This year, CABA will feature:
– Elaine C. Sit (Justice Laura C. Liu Lifetime Achievement Award)
– David Wu (Distinguished Service in Law Award)
– Jean Y. Liu (Presidential Leadership Award)
– Jonathan Yee (Rising Star Award)
– A fireside chat between Hon. Judge James Ho, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and Alan Tse, Global Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary at Jones Lang Lasalle
- James C. Ho is a Circuit Judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Before his appointment on January 4, 2018, he was co-chair of the national Appellate and Constitutional Law practice group of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. As an appellate litigator for over a decade, Judge Ho presented 50 oral arguments in federal and state courts nationwide. He won numerous appeals as lead counsel, including three at the U.S. Supreme Court (Sause v. Bauer, 138 S. Ct. 2561 (2018); Sossamon v. Texas, 563 U.S. 277 (2011); Thaler v. Haynes, 559 U.S. 43 (2010)). He was routinely ranked among leading advocates nationwide by Benchmark, Chambers USA, Law360, The Legal 500, The National Law Journal, and other publications. His decade as an appellate lawyer also included three years of service as the Solicitor General of Texas, the state’s chief appellate and Supreme Court litigator. He won three Supreme Court Best Brief Awards from the National Association of Attorneys General, and he is the only state solicitor general in history to be invited by the U.S. Supreme Court to express the views of a state. Judge Ho previously served in all three branches of the federal government. On the Senate Judiciary Committee, he served as chief counsel of the Subcommittees on the Constitution and Immigration under Senator John Cornyn. At the Justice Department, he served as Special Assistant to the Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights and an attorney-advisor at the Office of Legal Counsel. He clerked for Judge Jerry E. Smith of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and Justice Clarence Thomas of the U.S. Supreme Court. His record of public service also includes appointments as vice-chair of the Federal Judicial Evaluation Committee in Texas, co-chair of the Judiciary Committee of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, member of the U.S. Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel for the Northern District of Texas, member of the U.S. delegation to the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, and member of the Continuity of Government Commission. He has also served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Texas School of Law, senior editor of The Green Bag, and co-editor of Pub. L. Misc. Judge Ho graduated from Stanford University with honors and a B.A. in Public Policy, and the University of Chicago Law School with high honors. Before law school, he was a legislative aide to California State Senator Quentin Kopp (I-San Francisco). Taiwanese by birth and Texan by marriage, Judge Ho has been repeatedly recognized for his leadership in the Asian-American community. Before taking the bench, he received the President’s Award from the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, the Award for Outstanding Contributions to Asian Pacific American Leadership from the Conference on Asian Pacific American Leadership, the Justice David Wellington Chew Award from the Asian Pacific Interest Section of the State Bar of Texas, the Community Leader Award from the Dallas Asian American Bar Association, and the Award for Outstanding Contributions in Law from the Greater Dallas Asian American Chamber of Commerce, among other recognitions.
- Alan K. Tse is the Global Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary of Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc (NYSE: JLL), the Fortune 200 Real Estate Services Company with 92,000 employees worldwide. Mr. Tse leads a team of 170 plus lawyers worldwide and is a member of the global leadership team. In addition to his Legal and Compliance responsibilities, Internal Audit and Risk reports into Mr. Tse. Prior to JLL, Mr. Tse was the Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of Petco, the pet specialty retailer with over 1500 stores in the United States and Mexico where he led all legal, compliance and regulatory affairs matters for the Company as well as managed the procurement, risk and internal audit functions. Prior to Petco, Mr. Tse was the Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of Churchill Downs, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHDN) In addition to the Kentucky Derby, Churchill Downs also owns and operates casinos and thoroughbred racetracks throughout the country. Mr. Tse was formerly Vice President and General Counsel of LG Electronics MobileComm U.S.A., Inc. where Mr. Tse was responsible for all legal and regulatory matters for LG’s $5 Billion mobile phone business in North America and sat on the company’s senior management committee. Prior to joining LG, Mr. Tse was the Vice President and General Counsel of Ligos Corporation, a venture capital backed software company based in Silicon Valley and prior to Ligos, Mr. Tse was the Vice President of Strategic Development and General Counsel of Centerpoint Broadband Technologies, Inc., a Silicon Valley telecommunication equipment company. Mr. Tse started his career as a business and technology attorney at Brobeck Phleger and Harrison LLP in their Silicon Valley office representing technology companies and venture capitalists. Mr. Tse served on the Board of Directors of the Association of Corporate Counsel from 2013-2019 and served as Board Secretary and chaired the Membership Committee and Advocacy Committee during his tenure. Mr. Tse is the co-founder and serves on the Board of the Asian American Legal Foundation and was named one of the best lawyers under 40 by the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association in 2005 and was named as a Top General Counsels to Watch by NYSE’s Corporate Board Member magazine in 2012. Mr. Tse holds a B.A. in Economics and Political Science from the University of California at Berkeley where he earned Phi Beta Kappa honors and graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School.
Additionally, CABA will swear in its 2020-2021 Officers, General Board of Directors, Advisory Board, and Student Representatives:
– Officers: Ivy Lee(President); Jing Zhao (Vice President of Communications); Yankun Guo (Vice President of Finance and Development); Jonathan Yee (Vice President of Operations); Huy Nguyen (Treasurer); and Yan Zong(Secretary)
– General Board of Directors: Alan Chen; Summer Du; Frank Gao; Helen Ji; Vincent Kan; Rachel Kao; Yasmine Kumar; Mona Li; Elaine Liu; Jean Liu; Tony Shu; Xiang Siow; Elaine Sit; Hao Tan; George Wu; Jianing Xie; Eric Zhi
– Advisory Board: Ann Chen; Michael Chu; June Htun; Sharon Hwang; Nathan Leong; Dennis Mondero; Lei Shen; Darryl Tom; Andy Wang; Kimberly Wong; Virginia Yang; Gary Zhao
– Student Representatives: Crystal Chen; Qixiang (Max) Goh; Yunge Li; Amanda Rhim; Adam Shu; Jeffrey Tsai; Yushen (Christina) Xiang
CABA’s Boards will be sworn in by the Honorable Judge Edmond E. Chang, U.S. District Judge of the Northern District of Illinois.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you on Zoom!