This position is a union position; therefore, provisions of the relevant collective bargaining agreement/labor contract apply to the filling of this position. All applicants who want to be considered for this position MUST apply electronically through the illinois.jobs2web.com website. State of Illinois employees MUST click the link near the top left to apply through the SuccessFactors employee career portal in order to be considered an internal bidder.
Applications submitted via email or any paper manner (mail, fax, hand delivery) will not be considered.
The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services is seeking an organized, professional, and results oriented individual to serve as Cook County Regional Counsel. Under general direction, this position will represent the Department at hearings on assigned calendar in the Juvenile Court of Cook County, including temporary custody, adjudication, disposition, permanency, status, progress, termination of parental rights, and motion hearings. The position will appear personally in court, especially on high profile or complex cases. This position will also provide input into or conduct screenings to determine whether matters are legal sufficient to present to the court. This position is a great opportunity for anyone who would like to use their skills as an attorney to benefit child welfare services. DCFS offers a competitive compensation plan, excellent benefits, and a pension program. The ideal candidate for this position will have excellent legal, research, and organizational skills. It invites all qualified applicants to apply to join its innovative team to help make a difference in the lives of children and families.
1. Serves as Cook County Regional Counsel
2. As directed, provides input into or conducts screenings to determine whether matters are legally sufficient to present to the court
3. Provides input into the planning and development of training for staff on legal issues
4. As directed, makes periodic visits to assigned area office(s) to provide on-site legal consultation to workers
5. Prepares memoranda on legal issues
6. Maintains current working knowledge of relevant federal and state statutory and case law, state and federal regulations, and Department policy and procedures
7. Maintains records of activities and actions taken on behalf of the Department and reports to supervisor regarding same
8. Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above
1. Requires graduation from a recognized law school
2. Requires possession of a valid license to practice law in Illinois
1. Requires the ability to pass a background check
2. Requires possession ability to travel
Work Hours: Monday-Friday/ 8:30am-Spm
Work Location: 2245 W Ogden Ave Chicago, IL 60612-4266
This position DOES NOT contain "Specialized Skills" (as that term is used in CBAs).
Use the "Apply" button at the top right or bottom right of this posting to begin the application process.
If you are not already signed in, you will be prompted to do so.
State employees should sign in to the career portal for State of Illinois employees - a link is available at the top left of the lllinois.jobs2web.com homepage in the blue ribbon.
Non-State employees should log in on the using the "View Profile" link in the top right of the lllinois.jobs2web.com homepage in the blue ribbon. If you have never before signed in, you will be prompted to create an account.
If you have questions about how to apply, please see the following resources:
State employees: Log in to the career portal for State employees and review the Internal Candidate Application Job Aid
Non-State employees: on lllinois.jobs2web.com - click "Application Procedures" in the footer of every page of the website.